To install WebThings Gateway on a Raspberry Pi you will need:
- A Raspberry Pi® single board computer (Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 recommended, Pi 5 not yet supported) and power supply
- A microSD card (At least 8GB, class 10 recommended)
- USB dongles (Optional, see the list of supported hardware)
🗒️ Note: The Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 come with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios. The USB dongles are needed if you want to support other smart home protocols like Zigbee and Z-Wave.
1. Download Image
First download the latest gateway image from the WebThings website.
2. Flash Image
- Open Etcher
- Insert your SD card into an SD card reader attached to your computer
- Select the downloaded image as the source file
- Select your SD card as the target
- Click "Flash!"
Once flashing is complete, remove the microSD card.
3. Boot Raspberry Pi
- Insert the flashed microSD card into your Raspberry Pi
- Plug in any USB dongles
- Connect the power supply to boot the Pi
- Check that the LEDs light up: red indicates power, green indicates activity
- Wait a few minutes for the software to boot
🗒️ Note: On first boot the Raspberry Pi may take an additional 2-3 minutes longer to boot in order to take care of some first time setup.
To install WebThings Gateway on Docker, follow the instructions on Docker Hub.